The success of public education is closely connected to the strength of our community. Greetings, my name is Sharon Jackson and I am a candidate for School Board, District 7 because I have a vested interest in student success, achievement and outcomes of all schools in the district especially those that are under performing. I have actively served the district and advocated for the educational needs of students and schools in our communities for more than 30 years. This experience has facilitated my understanding of the strengths and challenges facing the district and our community.
My years of service in Pinellas County Schools at the elementary, middle, and high school levels include Teacher, School Counselor, Administrator, and College Professor. My husband was also a Pinellas County educator. He taught physical education and coached both track and football. We have two beautiful grown children who matriculated through Pinellas County Schools. Their education played a significant role in preparing them for college success; both went on to earn college degrees.
My passion and commitment for promoting student success, along with my experiences in education will provide the leadership needed in the Pinellas County School District to help build a vision, establish strategic goals and specific outcomes that all families and communities can share. I have dedicated my life to promote excellence, equity, and engagement in education with a focused attention to the social-emotional health and well-being of our children. Student achievement is a reflection of our success as schools, leaders, teachers, support staff and community partners.
First and foremost, I believe that a school board member must have students at the center of their thinking as the Board provides leadership in establishing the vision, mission, and goals for the District. I also believe that the school board must build trust, understanding, support, and participation. This can only be done through open dialogue.
It is my mission to focus on Excellence, Equity, and Engagement
- Adopt policies and procedures and set priorities for the district.
- Establish high expectations for all students, staff, teachers, school leaders, board members and superintendent.
- Prepare students to work and communicate with a diverse workforce locally, nationally, and globally.
- Develop a system and programs to help each student reach maximum potential.
- Adopt the annual budget that will allow the district to fulfill its vision and strategic goals.
- Conduct periodic review to ensure the fulfillment of established goals.
- Board and superintendent accountability.
- Equitable distribution of resources.
- Ensure staff and leadership development opportunities.
- Communicate district goal accomplishments and budget status to all constituencies.
- Actively participate in local, state, and national events involving public education, legislation and related issues.
- Keep abreast of changing trends in education and population demographics.
- Set and review organizational priorities and make changes as necessary.
- Update the community on district progress and challenges.
- Actively collaborate with union leadership to problem-solve budget and other areas that directly impact faculty, staff and students.
- Honest communication with all partners, community leadership, families and students, teachers, school officials and staff.
- Maintain visibility and transparency for morale and trust.
- Explore creative strategies for delivering instruction to students, teachers, school leaders and community.
- Explore alternative strategies for acquiring funding to support its vision and mission.
- Ensure full integration of technology for operational functions of the district and schools.
- Integrate the use of technology in the teaching-learning process and student support services.
We are living in an exciting time and will be confronted with challenges as we work together to provide quality education and equal opportunity for all students. Student success should remain our first priority!
My efforts as a school board member will be on serving all children and their families in our diverse communities. I pledge to work collaboratively and diligently with my colleagues, school officials, teachers, parents, and members of our community to address any existing inequities. Ideally, in order to be responsive to the needs of students, creating a culture of learners at every level that engage in active problem solving is necessary to effectively address district challenges.
Being the Sixth child of 12, my parents stressed that education is the gateway to success. My mother used to also say, “you don’t have to be great to start, but you must start to become great.”
Vote, Sharon Jackson as your next School Board Member, District 7. I am highly qualified and the best candidate. Every child has a right to a quality education. I am asking for your vote so that I can advocate for all students and families. I am a servant leader who brings compassion, a depth of knowledge, skills, and experiences that will be instrumental in helping to address issues the district may encounter and the potential negative impact on staff and students, including budgetary cuts.
I believe with a focused agenda, my commitment, strong work ethic and leadership skills will help move the district forward in fulfilling its vision of ensuring each child reaches his or her maximum potential, 100% student success. Together, we will effectively problem solve budgetary and major issues confronting the district.
Students First: Excellence, Equity, and Engagement Focused
Candidate for Pinellas County School Board, District 7 (NP)